Sunday, November 8, 2015

Learning to Knit

It's Sunday and I am taking it easy. Me and Lilly are practicing our knitting skills together!!

Winter is just around the corner! Although here in New York we've had a "No Coat Novemeber", we can't forget that the weather is going to have to get worse before it gets better again.  I'm dreading the cold weather, the runny noses and froze bitten fingers... but this year I am taking a new approach! I work with so many incredibly talented people at Simplicity Creative Group and it is silly for me to not take advantage of all the creativity right in front of me. Since being there, not only have I helped the company grow, but they in turn have helped me grow. I've picked up skills in sewing that I never had before, and now I am learning to knit and crochet =)

It's perfect timing! Just in time for the cold, hot chocolate weather! I decided to make a cowl for my first project. I know it's probably not best the best project to start as a beginner, but I don't think I could wait or start out with something more simple. I try not to let DIY's intimidate me, and I seem to have this habit of jumping right into the hardest projects. Sometimes it turns out fine, but sometimes it doesn't, and thats ok! It gives me a chance to really understand the science of what I'm making when I have to take it apart and put it back together.

One of the women I work with has been so kind enough to teach us her talents. In the past three classes I've learned how to cast on, purl, knit and cast off. I'm amazed at how easy it really is and how much I've accomplished in such a short amount of time. I remember being younger watching my grandmother crochet. I don't know it if it was because she stitched so fast or because I didn't have the motor skills, but the whole knitting/crochet craft really discouraged me. I truly remember saying to her "I'll never understand this". If she could see me today she would be so proud!

Im hoping that anyone who sees this will take their work week and turn it into something bigger. Design or make something new! Pick up a skill, or share your skills with others. Happy Sunday everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment